907 Terminal St. Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 459-1000

Change Out Programs

The Borough is currently offering the Wood Stove Change Out Programs for properties located in the Air Quality Control Zone (click HERE to find out if you are located in the Air Quality Control Zone).  Funding is limited so apply today! 

Completed forms can be mailed to or placed in our drop box by the front door: 3175 Peger Road, Fairbanks, AK  99709.  For more information please email us at aqip@fnsb.us or call (907) 459-1005.

PLEASE NOTE: A scoring process will determine priority of fund distributions, and an application may be denied that does not receive a high enough priority score. Funding is limited and is NOT guaranteed unless a written authorization has been issued.


As of 5pm, Friday, August 28th
the Air Quality Staff is no longer accepting
applications for this program.

Due to an overwhelming response, the funds for this program have been expended and we can no longer accept Oil to Gas applications.

The program will be reviewed in the Spring of 2021, and if additional funds become available we may begin accepting applications again.  Feel free to check back with us next spring to check on the status of the program.

We are still working with anyone that has already submitted an applicaton.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email our office.


* Borough Listed Installer List for Oil to Gas Program

* Vendor Direct Payment Form

* Borough Listed Installer Agreement Form

Other Links of Interest

FNSB Code - Air Quality Control Program

FNSB Air Quality Boundaries


Back to main air quality page

Frequently Asked Questions About The Wood Stove Change Out Program

 I applied to the old program but was either denied or did not complete the program.  Do I have to re-apply?

-- The program has changed multiple times over the years.  With each change in the program the application also changes, meaning that you may have to fill out a new application depending on how long it has been since you last applied.  

Can I replace my hydronic heater with a more efficient hydronic heater?

-- No, unless it is an EPA Certified pellet fuel burning hydronic heater with an emission rating of 0.1 lbs/million BTU or less.

Does my old device have to be destroyed?

-- If participating in the replacement or removal program, yes. In order to ensure that the old devices turned in as part of these programs are never again used in our area, they must be destroyed.

What happens to the old devices?

-- The devices being replaced must be delivered to the Borough Air Quality office. They are later taken to a recycling facility, where a Borough staff member witnesses the initial part of the destruction process.

Are businesses and rental properties eligible for the program?

-- All properties in the Air Quality Control Zone of the Fairbanks North Star Borough are eligible for the change-out program.

I rent my house. Can I, as the tenant, apply?

-- Only the legal property owners can apply for the programs. Applications must be signed by all of the legal property owners.

Can I submit my application by fax or e-mail?

-- We need to have the original signatures of the property owners on the application, so all applications will need to be either mailed or brought in person to our office at: 3175 Peger Road, Fairbanks, AK 99709.

Do you recommend a particular device?

-- We do not recommend or promote any particular device or dealer. Different buildings and lifestyles require different types of devices. We recommend checking with local dealers and on-line to determine which device best suits your needs.

Where can I buy an EPA certified wood stove or EPA certified pellet stove?

-- There are many places people can by wood and pellet stoves. You can check the yellow pages of the telephone directory or on-line to find local dealers. We also have a list of all known dealers of wood and pellet stoves available in our office.

Back to top of the page

Back to main air quality page